*

*

Monday, July 10, 2017

Talent Profiles: Jim Cooper





This week I'm talking with new talent Jim Cooper, a former commercial production pro, who recently booked his first gig as a professional voice actor. Jim's a talented and interesting individual, and I enjoyed working with him on his delivery and new demos over the past few months, (hear them here: goo.gl/vKgJ54, goo.gl/fAiBFJ.) Discover Jim's perspective on getting into the industry below.




JMC
 
How did you get interested in voice acting?
 
JIM


I'd like to say a white light fell from the sky to guide me into the industry where my talents would be most useful.  But that's not going to fly is it?  OK.  I spent many years in radio but the part I always liked the best was the commercial production side.  Being on-air was cool, but creating commercials was my favorite, letting all my creativity break out and have fun.

JMC

As a new talent, what process did you go through before deciding to pursue this professionally?

JIM
 
I had my own home baking business - does that count?  I attended a VO seminar in Manhattan some years back and was told I was too "announcery" for voice over work - all that radio training was working against me.  It wasn't until recently that a voice inside my head told me it was time to get over myself and get some training.

JMC

What sort of VO work puts a smile on your face?

JIM
 
I have the most fun recording scripts that are fun, witty and well-written, regardless of category. Characters with well defined emotions that I can really dig into.

JMC

What is your dream VO job?

JIM
 
I don't know that I have one yet, as I'm just starting to experience the many facets of this business. On my VO bucket list is recording an audiobook, being part of a cast in a radio drama, and being the introduction announcer for bands at concert venues.

JMC

What have you found most challenging so far in your VO journey?

JIM
 
Patience and keeping expectations real. The first few weeks of auditioning provided many lessons; it took awhile for me to pay attention to them.  For example, it dawned on me eventually that I didn't have to audition for everything; that doing auditions that were outside of where my core talents lie was a waste of time.  Also, having been exposed to advice from many of the top VO talents, the one thing that really struck me was to just be myself - use my own voice.  I don't have to be Sam Elliot or James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman.  They certainly aren't spending any time trying to be me - that's my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment